Supporting Those In Need
The St. Andrew’s Society of Philadelphia is believed to be the oldest charitable membership organization in continuous existence in North America. It was organized in 1747 to assist the large numbers of destitute Scots arriving in Philadelphia at that time.
The Society created a treasury for the organized distribution of funds to these immigrants and a network for providing jobs or transportation for them. Throughout the periods of steady immigration in the 18th and 19th centuries and, particularly, during the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Society provided food, coal, clothing, and work to scores of distressed Scottish families.
The Society’s Assistance Committee continues to provide financial assistance to Scottish widows and orphans in this region, as well as to Scottish nationals who have needed legal or medical help.
Since those early days, the Society has continued its charitable works and now spends the majority of its efforts in granting scholarships to college students who wish to study at the Ancient Universities of Scotland. While maintaining our educational mission, as we approach our 275th Anniversary, the Society remains committed to the original intent of its founders to provide assistance to those in financial distress. This limited, one-time financial assistance is available to anyone in need, and has been expanded beyond the scope of providing for those of Scottish heritage to serve any who may have need, from any ethnic, cultural, or religious backgrounds.
If you require assistance, or know of someone who does, please contact the society assistance committee chairman, Rev. Mark S. McDowell, [email protected]